HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Politics 2014 (Forum) » Lying for the Lord - keep...

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 02:58 PM

Lying for the Lord - keep this in mind, tonight

Keep in mind, Joseph Smith's vision that a Mormon would, some day, occupy the White House and, therefore, have dominion over the United States of America.

http://www.mormonwiki.org/Lying_for_the_Lord

Lying for the Lord refers to the practice of lying to protect the image of and belief in the Mormon religion, a practice which Mormonism itself fosters in various ways. From Joseph Smith's denial of having more than one wife, to polygamous Mormon missionaries telling European investigators that reports about polygamy in Utah were lies put out by "anti-Mormons" and disgruntled ex-members, to Gordon B. Hinckley's dishonest equivocation on national television over Mormon doctrine, Mormonism's history seems replete with examples of lying. Common members see such examples as situations where lying is justified. For the Mormon, loyalty and the welfare of the church are more important than the principle of honesty, and plausible denials and deception by omission are warranted by an opportunity to have the Mormon organization seen in the best possible light. This is part of the larger package of things that lead many to describe Mormonism as a cult. "Lying for the lord" is part of Mormonism's larger deceptive mainstreaming tactics, and conversion numbers would drastically lower if important Mormon beliefs were fully disclosed to investigators.

Now, watch this video. "Answer the question that should have been asked."

18 replies, 3290 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to DollarBillHines (Original post)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 04:55 PM

1. Watching this pompous ass, I begin to wonder if condescension is a tenet of that church. What a dick

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Squinch (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 05:07 PM

6. Aw, come on, he is going to be god soon

He IS better than everyone else.

Reply to this post

Response to Squinch (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 06:04 PM

13. I suspect the condescension is a natural consequence of the tenet of patriarchal privilege.

Reply to this post

Response to tanyev (Reply #13)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 07:21 PM

16. You can see it clearly at the base of Mitt's attitude toward people. I think you're right.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 04:56 PM

2. Sadly, it's not just Mormons who think it's

okay to "Lie for the Lord". Haven't I seen that fundamentalists likewise think this is just fine?

Reply to this post

Response to SheilaT (Reply #2)

Response to SheilaT (Reply #2)

Response to AnotherMcIntosh (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 10:44 PM

17. Okay then. I guess I'm not willing to say

the all lie for the lord, but those who do clearly think it's justified.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 05:03 PM

3. "Satan's Legions won't listen to THE ONE AND ONLY TRUTH . . .

so why should we tell them the truth about anything anyway?"

The FundaMENTAList Mind at work.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 05:08 PM

7. Lying out of loyalty to ROYALTY, i.e. Divine Right to do WHATEVER in the name of "God"/self. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 05:20 PM

8. Well there you go...he just admitted to being a false prophet.

Because he is ignoring the teachings of Jesus and teaching others to do the same...and Jesus was very clear about what kind of person that is.
But Mormons are not the only ones that do that...the fundies do the same thing...but they try to hide it...this guy just comes right out and says it.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 05:35 PM

9. So Many Lies Told Already

totally believe in this Mormon LFTL thing.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 05:42 PM

10. BYU History Department

Now there is the definition of academic fraud.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 05:43 PM

11. Classic Mormonism.

This is one of the founding principles of the church. Today, they continue to lie perpetually. When they were first confronted by news media about bankrolling Prop 8 the Church leadership tried a quick cover-up of the facts only to be forced to admit their role later when more facts came out.

Not exactly the most honorable group of men you will ever meet.

Of course women are not allowed to hold positions of authority in this volunteer lay-priesthood organization. Like Tammy Wynette their job is to "Stand by their maaaaaaaaaaaan."

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 05:43 PM

12. A friend grew up Mormon

His father was head of the "LDS FOUNDATION" so his dad was somewhat of a big-shot in the church.

He told me that if you rob a bank and dont get caught, and donate the money to the Mormon church, then it is gods will. If you rob a bank and donate the money to the church, but you get caught for it, it was not gods will, thus you should be punished for it. He had a name for it, but I can't remember what it was.

Translation: it's a sin to get caught.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 06:08 PM

14. MORMONS FOR OBAMA!!!!

1600 strong on Facebook and Pew estimates almost 400k will vote for Obama this November.

SUCK THAT ANTI-MORMONS!

Reply to this post

Response to BSUbluNorange (Reply #14)

Wed Oct 3, 2012, 07:03 PM

15. So glad you and other Mormons are on our side BSUbluNorange. I mean that with all sincerity.

Here's my problem with Romney........and it's the same with every religion. It's really a simple question.

Will he use his religious beliefs to influence our country?

I feel this way about any religion including Xian Fundies, radical Islamists or any other religion that thinks that their only mission is to convert as many people as possible, effect as many policies as possible and make their religious ideology the absolute law of the land.

Does the mission also include influencing our very democracy with their religious ideology?

Every American citizen has the right to worship what ever they want; whether it be a God, son of God, nature, celestial bodies, etc. but there should be a clear separation of one's religious beliefs and State.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 18, 2012, 03:43 AM

18. low count doesn't matter. it depends

on when you post it. sometimes there's a lot of people on line -- other times not as many.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread