HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Ron Paul's Iowa maneuvers...

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:29 PM

Ron Paul's Iowa maneuvers place GOP in awkward position

Source: Latimes

Ron Paul's Iowa maneuvers place GOP in awkward position

By Seema Mehta

June 16, 2012, 6:06 p.m.

DES MOINES ó Rick Santorum won the Iowa caucuses in January, with Mitt Romney a close second, but neither was the true winner this weekend when the delegates who actually will vote at the Republican National Convention were selected. That would be Ron Paul.

The congressman from Texas finished a distant third in the Iowa caucuses more than six months ago, but of the 28 delegates selected Friday and Saturday to head to the national convention, 23 are Paul supporters Ė and they are not bound to support the victor of the stateís first-in-the-nation voting contest.

Itís part of a quiet strategy by Paul and his backers to amass an army of supporters at the GOP gathering in August in Tampa, Fla., to push Paulís views on liberty, states' rights, the monetary system and foreign policy. By working arcane electoral rules and getting supporters into positions of power in local, county and state party operations, the strategy is paying dividends across the nation.

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-ron-pauls-iowa-maneuvers-place-gop-in-awkward-position-20120616,0,3570263.story

55 replies, 8508 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 55 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ron Paul's Iowa maneuvers place GOP in awkward position (Original post)
tawadi Jun 2012 OP
freshwest Jun 2012 #1
D23MIURG23 Jun 2012 #2
zbdent Jun 2012 #3
Kalidurga Jun 2012 #4
kestrel91316 Jun 2012 #5
UglyGreed Jun 2012 #45
kestrel91316 Jun 2012 #49
freshstart Jun 2012 #54
zbdent Jun 2012 #8
OnlinePoker Jun 2012 #14
longship Jun 2012 #6
sweetloukillbot Jun 2012 #9
D23MIURG23 Jun 2012 #11
longship Jun 2012 #12
sweetloukillbot Jun 2012 #18
longship Jun 2012 #22
Jim Lane Jun 2012 #26
D23MIURG23 Jun 2012 #10
longship Jun 2012 #13
D23MIURG23 Jun 2012 #15
longship Jun 2012 #44
unc70 Jun 2012 #35
freshstart Jun 2012 #41
Jamaal510 Jun 2012 #7
AtheistCrusader Jun 2012 #27
freshstart Jun 2012 #32
Dokkie Jun 2012 #38
dimbear Jun 2012 #16
tanyev Jun 2012 #19
tawadi Jun 2012 #23
Blue_Tires Jun 2012 #47
dimbear Jun 2012 #50
Rosa Luxemburg Jun 2012 #53
Iliyah Jun 2012 #17
freshwest Jun 2012 #20
AtheistCrusader Jun 2012 #28
freshwest Jun 2012 #29
AtheistCrusader Jun 2012 #30
freshwest Jun 2012 #33
Dokkie Jun 2012 #39
AtheistCrusader Jun 2012 #46
JDPriestly Jun 2012 #21
think Jun 2012 #24
otherone Jun 2012 #31
freshstart Jun 2012 #34
gopiscrap Jun 2012 #25
cbrer Jun 2012 #36
KurtNYC Jun 2012 #37
freshstart Jun 2012 #40
KurtNYC Jun 2012 #42
freshstart Jun 2012 #43
Blue_Tires Jun 2012 #48
KurtNYC Jun 2012 #51
freshstart Jun 2012 #55
little elvis Jun 2012 #52

Response to tawadi (Original post)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:39 PM

1. Oh, pardon me, I thought this thread was about bathroom stalls. My bad.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:42 PM

2. I've seen other articles like this indicating that Paul supporters are trying to ratfuck the RNC...

by packing the floor with Ron Paul supporting delegates. I don't support Ron Paul, but if he and his supporters want to make a mess of the Republican Convention, I'd be all for it...

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:43 PM

3. Please, Mr. Paul ... please push the GOP further and further to

the maniacal right ...

Reply to this post

Response to zbdent (Reply #3)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:46 PM

4. I don't see how they could go much further....

without stoning people they think aren't upholding their ideas of morality.

Reply to this post

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #4)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:47 PM

5. The Dominionist camp is quite open about wanting to bring back stonings.

And they half control the RW these days.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #5)

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 08:34 PM

45. Look into Christian Reconstructism

Ron Paul believes in it as does his buddies Gary North, Lew Rockwell and the man Ron Paul endorsed for President in 2008 Chuck Baldwin. Who by the way is also a Neo-Confederate. Nice folks...

Reply to this post

Response to UglyGreed (Reply #45)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 01:08 PM

49. Dominionists = Christian Reconstructionists. They are the folks who see The Handmaid's Tale

as utopia.

Reply to this post

Response to UglyGreed (Reply #45)

Wed Jun 20, 2012, 04:52 PM

54. Yep....

did you read about biblical capitalism....they are into that too. And that is some scary shit.

Reply to this post

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #4)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:50 PM

8. Stoning? Well, when we were kids, we WISHED they would only stone us ...

(nod to Monty Python)

Really, I doubt that there is a bottom to the depths that the Righties will plunge to ...

Reply to this post

Response to zbdent (Reply #8)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 02:23 PM

14. Only way Republicans want you to get stoned is if they're throwing them at you. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:48 PM

6. How many more states has the Ayn Rand cult taken from the Republicans?

I have heard of a few here recently.

AK, MN, MT??

Are there others? Does anybody have a count of the delegates?

This may be important because we know that this has happened before, in the 70's and 80's, when the religious right took over the entire Republican party using just these tactics. If you get a majority of the precinct delegates, you get the majority all the way up the chain. It is very easy to get elected delegate at the precinct level. I know. I've done it multiple times.

So where does Ron Paul stand on this? How wide spread is the infection?

We need to pay close attention to this. And do not presume that this is good for the Democratic party. It isn't any better than the religious right being in power. It only trades one unmoving ideological cult for another. Both are bad. And in some ways the Ayn Randers are worse.

Reply to this post

Response to longship (Reply #6)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 01:59 PM

9. Is this going to be any more than a sideshow?

As I understand the process it doesn't matter if they're Ron Paul delegates. In the first round, if Mitt won the state, they have to vote for Mitt. And since he's locked up the nomination, it's not going to get to the second round.

Reply to this post

Response to sweetloukillbot (Reply #9)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 02:14 PM

11. As I understand it they aren't technically bound to vote for any given candidate under party rules.

If they want to make a scene by turning states over to Paul, they can do that. Its hard for me to imagine them getting enough states to actually give Paul the nomination though, and if they managed that, its hard for me to imagine the party wouldn't find some method for overruling it.

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 02:14 PM

12. I don't know. Today's report on IA states otherwise.

That's why we need to know and why it may be very important.

I've asked these questions because I am ignorant of these affairs since the Repubs set their own rules.

But if the Rand cult delegates go rogue on the first ballot, there may be some real chair throwing (so to speak) in Tampa. If the rules say they can, Rmoney could be in trouble.

Again, how many states, and which ones, have the Ayn Randers done this?

Reply to this post

Response to longship (Reply #12)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 03:39 PM

18. Maybe its a caucus vs. primary thing

I know this is the first time I remember that they made the point during the caucus coverage that the results were "non-binding." I think they did that in IA and MO. Didn't some Paultards go rogue in primary states as well?
I dunno, even if it doesn't change the outcome, it's going to be entertaining...

Reply to this post

Response to sweetloukillbot (Reply #18)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 04:39 PM

22. Neither. These are state Rep conventions

But if the majority of delegates that are voting for state delegates are Paulites, the delegates going to the national convention are going to be Paulites.

In the past couple of months the same has been reported here in DU for a few other states.

I just don't know what to make of it. Yesterday, it was reported that the IA Paul delegates (21 of 25, IIRC) may not honor any commitment.

That was the purpose of my posts here.

What's going on?

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 11:22 PM

26. I think the main purpose relates to the platform.

I have a vague recollection of reading that, if five state delegations propose a motion, it must be taken up by the entire Convention. If that's so, then Paul, by purloining majorities in five delegations where he didn't win the primary or caucus, could trot out a series of his pet positions. Even if all were voted down, it would be his chance to promote libertarianism on a national stage.

This could be great for us. Suppose the Convention has to vote on amending the platform to call for complete privatization of Social Security, or the restoration of the gold standard, or some such. Then Romney must tell his minions to vote for it (he'll look unacceptably wacko to the sensible people whose support he needs), or tell them to vote against it (he'll look unacceptably sensible to the wackos whose support he needs), or duck and say that his delegates are free to vote their consciences (he'll look like a wuss to everybody).

Reply to this post

Response to longship (Reply #6)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 02:09 PM

10. Its interesting to learn that this tactic helped religious right, but I don't understand...

your worry. The godbots and the party brass aren't going to let this go without a fight, because they won't want to run Paul against Obama, and the Republican primary voters didn't pick Paul. I'm also not sure what part of the republican party wouldn't qualify as an "unmoving ideological cult". They are all completely illogical about almost everything.

Do you know something that I don't about how this might play out? I'm just seeing a possibility for republican infighting on a massive scale.

Reply to this post

Response to D23MIURG23 (Reply #10)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 02:21 PM

13. I don't know the answers. That's why I asked.

I was hoping that somebody here can enlighten me. Because certainly Rand is doing this for some purpose. I am merely trying to discern what that purpose could be.

It could be another danger to the Democrats that we should look out for. If that's the case, we need to be aware of it now.

Thanks for your questions. But I am asking the same ones.

Reply to this post

Response to longship (Reply #13)

Sun Jun 17, 2012, 02:44 PM

15. I've heard about incidents in OK and NV

He got the majority of the delegates in NV
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/ron-paul-wins-majority-of-nevada-delegates/2012/05/06/gIQA1An15T_blog.html

His supporters cause a major disturbance in the OK convention
http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/ad-lib/2012/may/14/ron-paul-and-mitt-romney-supporters-brawl-oklahoma/

The article about OK has Paul on record saying he doesn't want to disrupt the RNC, he is just trying to get as many delegates as he can. Which doesn't make any sense at all when you consider that loosing by one gets you the same thing as loosing by 1000. I don't know what his real purpose is, but I'm guessing at very least he wants something from the party brass in exchange for not ruining the national convention. As for his supporting delegates, who the hell knows what they will do. They don't strike me as team players at any rate.

Reply to this post

Response to D23MIURG23 (Reply #10)

Mon Jun 18, 2012, 05:23 PM

44. Yes, and I agree. Here's what I am thinking...

I really do not think Paul has a ghost of a chance to win the nomination. And he is undoubtedly smart enough to know that as well. Furthermore, his age is against him for running in four years.

So why is he doing this? He seems to be replicating this in enough states that the Democratic party should be aware of this. Certainly the news media should be reporting it. But all we hear is crickets.

I am merely puzzled by the behavior and am wondering what the hell is going on and what the possible consequences are of ignoring it, or saying that it cannot be important.

I am no conspiracy theorist. But it does seem that Paul may be attempting what the fundie Christians did in the 70's and 80's. If so, shouldn't we as a party be paying attention?

Shouldn't we consider and try to find out how prevalent this behavior is to determine whether it can influence this or future elections?

Above all, I am asking questions because I just don't know what this means. But my Spidey sense is tingling because I have seen these tactics before.

Thanks for your questions and comments.

Reply to this post