HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Legislative Measure To Ba...

Tue May 15, 2012, 05:27 PM

Legislative Measure To Bar Jayhawks Specialty Missouri License Plate

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Rhiannon12866 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: KCUR

"The Missouri House has approved language designed to bar the creation of a Kansas Jayhawks specialty license plate. The measure was added onto a larger higher education bill passed by the House Tuesday.

It would require legislative approval of specialty license plates that feature out-of-state colleges and universities. The sponsor, House Member Stephen Webber of Columbia, says itís a direct result of Kansas dropping its football rivalry with the University of Missouri.

ďThis is one of those opportunities to kick the Jayhawks in their non-existent teeth, and I say we take advantage of it," Webber said. "Madam Speaker, I would like to say in all seriousness, the rivalryís been good for Kansas City, itís been good for our state, I think itís been good for their state as well.Ē

Webber added, though, that if KU agrees to resume the Border Showdown rivalry that next year he would sponsor legislation to remove the added requirement for specialty plates. The bill now goes to the Missouri Senate."

Read more: http://www.kcur.org/post/legislative-measure-bar-jayhawks-specialty-mo-license-plate

8 replies, 1555 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Legislative Measure To Bar Jayhawks Specialty Missouri License Plate (Original post)
pstokely May 2012 OP
d_r May 2012 #1
qb May 2012 #2
RC May 2012 #4
pstokely May 2012 #7
salin May 2012 #6
Dont call me Shirley May 2012 #3
TlalocW May 2012 #5
Rhiannon12866 May 2012 #8

Response to pstokely (Original post)

Tue May 15, 2012, 05:37 PM

1. Georgia did this a couple of years ago

for Auburn, UT and UF plates. I think that enough of the legislators' constituents were out of state alumni that they caught enough hell to change it back.

This adds the complexity of Missouri leaving the big 12 for the SEC, and the big 12 whining about it.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue May 15, 2012, 05:38 PM

2. Missouri's budget & employment numbers must be great

for their politicians to have time to focus on stuff like this.

Response to qb (Reply #2)

Tue May 15, 2012, 05:57 PM

4. Missouri is a RED State.

The actual important stuff depends on who has the money. You know like the Kansas City public schools losing accreditation. They had plenty to time to fix what was wrong, but the "wrong" people would have gotten the money.

Response to RC (Reply #4)

Tue May 15, 2012, 09:50 PM

7. MO is a pinkish red state

It's still in play

Response to qb (Reply #2)

Tue May 15, 2012, 08:19 PM

6. My thought, as well.

*This* is a pressing problem? Insulting that public dollars were spent on this (in terms of the cost for someone drafting the legislation, and in terms of the wages for the time spent on all legislators who spent the time on the floor voting instead of working on issues that actually might have an impact upon citizens who are paying the taxes that pay all of their wages.) What a farce.

Tue May 15, 2012, 05:45 PM

3. Petty, absolutely petty

Tue May 15, 2012, 07:29 PM

5. I'm glad that stuff like this is keeping the Missouri congress busy

I'm in the KC area (the Kansas side), and in the 90s, I was attending Pittsburg State in the southeast corner of Kansas. Everyday I got/get the KC Star and read through it. One year, because of overly-flowery, political language in one bill that was passed (I think it had to do with public nudity), English professors and linguists were brought in to translate it, and as it turned out, they had outlawed sex.

TlalocW

Tue May 15, 2012, 10:52 PM

8. Locking. Sorry, this is a duplicate.Please continue discussion and post updates here: