HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Children are mistaking la...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed May 23, 2012, 01:46 PM

Children are mistaking laundry detergent packets for candy

Parents are being urged to keep laundry detergent packets out of reach of young children after several children have been sickened in the Valley and nationwide.

----------------------



The AAPCC cited the following incidents nationwide:

- Ten minutes after a 20-month-old swallowed a laundry detergent packet, the child developed profuse vomiting, wheezing and gasping and then became unresponsive to even painful stimuli.

- A 15-month-old who bit into a pack and swallowed a mouthful had profuse vomiting and, after arrival at a hospital, had to be put on a ventilator for airway protection.

-A 17-month-old bit into a packet and then rapidly developed drowsiness, vomited, breathed the product into the lungs, and had to be put on a ventilator.

“These cute little colorful, squishy packets are very attractive to kids,” said a spokesperson for the Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center Poison and Drug Information Center. “With normal laundry detergents we do not see these types of symptoms.”

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/laundry-detergent-packets-sickening-children-who-eat-them#ixzz1viS4cnrz

14 replies, 3241 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 01:49 PM

1. crap, that should prompt a change in packaging or a different container for the tabs

. . . that won't come open easily; some sort of child guard. This looks serious and inevitable that kids are going to get hurt.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to bigtree (Reply #1)

Wed May 23, 2012, 01:56 PM

2. there are so many different kinds now: Dishwasher and others.



The poison centers want to call attention to a surge in the number of young children and toddlers who swallow those single unit packets of laundry detergent that look like tiny balloons. Dishwasher detergents also come in these packets.

If you’ve ever handled them, you know that even the slightest amount of moisture touching the packets will cause the “skin” that covers the detergent to start to dissolve, exposing the substance inside. That’s what’s happening when kids touch these to their tongue or put them in their mouth. Some of them are then swallowing it.

According to the poison centers some children have required hospitalization. Other children have gotten the product in their eye, which causes significant irritation.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/healthcare/Laundry-packets-can-be-harmful-to-children.html#ixzz1viV5l1Y4

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #2)

Wed May 23, 2012, 01:58 PM

3. awful

thanks very much for posting, LiL.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 02:04 PM

4. I keep asking why anybody would buy them (or the ones for dishwashers).

They are putting melted plastic on your dishes or clothes! And the cost per use must be 10 times that of a bottle of detergent.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to sinkingfeeling (Reply #4)

Wed May 23, 2012, 02:16 PM

7. AFAIK, those are definitely not plastic. They are most likely what's...

...called a "bioplastic", but instead of being made from petroleum as regular plastics are, bioplastics are made from plant starches or cellulose. They can be engineered to fit all kinds of tasks and can be constructed to biodegrade in different environments properly.

Price-wise, they had been more expensive but the price has been coming down quite a bit lately. I'm really happy to see us moving away from petroleum based plastics and being able to make solid materials out of something as eco-friendly as plant starch/cellulose.

PB

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Poll_Blind (Reply #7)

Wed May 23, 2012, 02:51 PM

10. Still don't want it on my clothes or dishes. Is it that people can no longer

measure out a capful of something and pour it?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to sinkingfeeling (Reply #10)

Wed May 23, 2012, 03:02 PM

12. I believe one of the reasons why these gel tablets exist is that it's important to...

...keep certain cleaning agents separate until they're needed. Much like how an epoxy gun has two tubes which have a nozzle which mix them together when they're needed. I've also seen dry tablets which separated the cleaning agents as well.

For instance, I used to use both liquid and powder dish washing detergent in my dishwasher and while that worked fine, my girlfriend came home with some dry compound tablets which she'd gotten a great deal on, at someplace like Costco.

Not only did they do a much better job on the dishes than I expected, they were also considerably cheaper. To give you an idea, we're talking about a box almost a foot square with about 100 compound-composition tablets for something insanely cheap, far cheaper than the regular liquid or (occasionally) powder we'd use.

Of course, we have the more expensive regular-style dish washing detergent for when we wash things by hand, but at least in the case of dishwashers, it's far more economical to use the tabs, and they do just as good or better job.

I'll concede I don't have much experience with using them for washing clothes though- so I'm not attempting to negate your point. I just thought it was worth mentioning the separating of cleaning agents in liquid form, which I thought was the most likely explanation for their existence.

PB

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 02:05 PM

5. Yikes!

People should keep all cleaning products way, way out of reach of the kidlets.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 02:10 PM

6. I admit, my first reaction when I saw them on a store shelf was that they were food

(But FTR, my confusion lasted a few seconds at most...)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 02:25 PM

8. What's wrong with good old fashioned soap powder

I use an inexpensive brand called Grannies, its environmentally friendly and unscented, and I use less than half the recommended amount so it lasts a very long time. In its powder form its not in any way attractive to children or small animals. I hang the clothes on a clothes line outside in good weather and inside when not, and they smell fresh and clean, and not all tarted up with "tide with smelly shit" or toxic chemicalized dryer sheets.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 02:44 PM

9. Where have I seen that before?...

 

Ohhh, now I remember...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 02:55 PM

11. Where are the parents when this happens?

We raised two kids, they are now 14 and 10 and they never did anything like this......

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 04:38 PM

13. So far all the ones I've sampled are immediately recognizable as soap rather than candy

 

after a few bites.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 04:52 PM

14. Parents are idiots.

And they're teaching their kids to be morons. We keep all of our detergent in the cabinet over our washer. I can barely reach them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread