HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 300 5-year-old municipal ...

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:04 PM

300 5-year-old municipal vehicles found in Miami that were never used - cost to taxpayers $4 million

Hundreds of 5-year-old municipal vehicles found in Miami that were never used

Have you ever bought a brand new cars only to forget where you put it? How about 300 of them? Probably not – unless you're Miami-Dade County, which was recently reunited with 298 vehicles it bought brand new between 2006 and 2007.

The county "discovered" this fleet of no-mileage vehicles after reading about them in a Spanish-language newspaper there (see the source for more images). Most of the misplaced motorcade is made up of Toyota Prius hybrids whose warranties either expired with very few miles on the odo or will very soon.

Looking to save some face, the county has rushed at least 123 of the hybrids into service. The Toyota warranty covered the hybrid bits for eight years or 100,000 miles, but we're not sure if that covers cars parked for five of those eight. We're also not sure what that much time in Miami heat and humidity does to an unused hybrid powertrain, but it can't be good.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/25/hundreds-of-5-year-old-municipal-vehicles-found-in-miami-that-we/

"It's outrageous," said Martinez. "These new vehicles were bought out of control package and were stationed in a building for years. This is not the first time it happens. So you have to investigate this case and determine exactly what happened so it does not happen again. "

The case was revealed Tuesday by News America newscast Channel 41 in Miami, after an eight-month investigation.

In October, the news team found that 293 vehicles were "rusty" in the parking building. But seeing that the political storm was coming, the County put into circulation between 123 and 135 of them, depending on the officer to be interviewed.

Read more here: http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.elnuevoherald.com/2012/04/20/1182845/flota-de-carros-abandonados-del.html&usg=ALkJrhiNhlEvNJSMkV4iutryp-n8Jz2J4A#storylink=cpy

21 replies, 3241 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply 300 5-year-old municipal vehicles found in Miami that were never used - cost to taxpayers $4 million (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Apr 2012 OP
xchrom Apr 2012 #1
Liberal_in_LA Apr 2012 #2
Poll_Blind Apr 2012 #4
gateley Apr 2012 #11
bhikkhu Apr 2012 #3
Egalitarian Thug Apr 2012 #5
hedgehog Apr 2012 #7
HiPointDem Apr 2012 #12
freshwest Apr 2012 #8
GFRDH-04 Apr 2012 #10
dballance Apr 2012 #6
GFRDH-04 Apr 2012 #9
HiPointDem Apr 2012 #13
LASlibinSC Apr 2012 #14
alcibiades_mystery Apr 2012 #15
Liberal_in_LA Apr 2012 #19
AsahinaKimi Apr 2012 #16
RandySF Apr 2012 #17
Scurrilous Apr 2012 #20
Liberal_in_LA Apr 2012 #21
DiverDave Apr 2012 #18

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:18 PM

1. Wow. Great example of 'bad' governance.

The public deserves and should always demand 'good' governance.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to xchrom (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:19 PM

2. I don't understand how an organization "forgets" about 300 new vehicles.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:54 PM

4. I know what you mean. It's....freaky. I don't get it at all. We're talking about a huge...

...financial expenditure.

PB

Reply to this post

Response to Poll_Blind (Reply #4)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:00 PM

11. Not as huge as Rumsfeld losing $18 Billion in Iraq. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 09:43 PM

3. Ironically, things like this are more often the result of too small government

...in that the auditing of programs and agencies can't be done, lacking manpower and funding.

Often material needs are budgeted for, then cuts elsewhere eliminate the people and the programs that the were to utilize them. And further staffing and oversight cuts remove the people who might have resolved the imbalance.

Reply to this post

Response to bhikkhu (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:20 PM

5. You got it. One person trying to do 3 or 4 jobs, things get dropped.

And as you said, they don't have enough people left to know that its been dropped.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #5)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:42 PM

7. Did the county go through a round of lay-offs?

Reply to this post

Response to hedgehog (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:14 PM

12. several rounds, i think.

2012 budget:
Florida court clerks warn budget means layoffs, closed offices

Florida's court clerks are warning that the new state budget could lead to roughly 900 people losing their jobs and offices across the state could be closed...A preliminary analysis prepared by court clerks shows that the budget cut would lead to layoffs in most counties, including as many as 175 employees in Miami-Dade County...

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2012/mar/07/5/florida-court-clerks-warn-budget-means-layoffs-clo-ar-366674/

Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Alvarez's proposed budget for 2010-11 calls for:

Eliminating 1,199 county positions, including 900 filled posts that would entail actual layoffs in a host of areas including IT, human resources, finance, parks and libraries. That would cut county employment to 27,414 positions, the lowest level since the mid-1990s

That is harsher than last year, when county layoffs were minimized by eliminating open positions and shuffling staffers to different departments through a complex bumping system.

http://www.taxrates.cc/html/07j-miami-dade-budget.html

MIAMI (WSVN) -- Miami-Dade County commissioners are reviewing proposed tax rates as well as budget cuts, after the mayor released his proposed 2009-10 budget...
1700 employees could lose their jobs if the commissioners pass the budget as the mayor had proposed it.

Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI126485/#ixzz1tIj3znvN

Miami-Dade Mayor Alvarez demonstrates how true conservative principles work when properly applied by government.

Step one: announce steep cuts in services and austerity measures for the constituents – lay off some teachers, shorten the hours at the local library, slash a charitable organization or two, and the arts… that kind of thing … because, as the town hall yelpers will tell you, we are out of money.

Step two: hand over half a billion dollars to your nearest baseball team, so they can build themselves an indoor stadium … with a pool!

Step three: give your team a big, fat raise. (Spoiler alert: we’re now on step three…)

http://blog.reidreport.com/2009/08/in-miami-dade-county-cuts-are-for-little-people/

A quick google gives me the impression there have been cuts in miami-dade every year since the recession began.

still not clear to me how an expenditure that big (single item over 6 million) could get lost so bad, though.

Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI126485/#ixzz1tIizUJI9

Reply to this post

Response to bhikkhu (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:52 PM

8. That's true. Where I live we vote on every single thing and have enough workers to keep track.

If these weren't needed for city employees they could have been used as part of a CarShare program such as we have here. We value our space here and are big on going green. I hope they auction the other cars off as those are in high demand. There are a lot of them out in this region. Very nice cars.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:58 PM

10. Spam deleted by ScreamingMeemie (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:39 PM

6. Well Gees. I Wonder who got the kickback for these?

Maybe we can start the rumor it was Rubio.

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:56 PM

9. Spam deleted by ScreamingMeemie (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Response to dballance (Reply #6)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:17 PM

13. that was my first thought too. who got the kickback. over $6 million, that little item

cost the county government. even if the cars got lost, the financials shouldn't have, and whoever was doing the books should have noticed no further paperwork on the expenditure (serving, etc.)

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:49 PM

14. This is crazy

Somebody had to pay for security or storage.because they were still there. I guess what I'm getting at is somebody had to either walk by these cars or pay not to

Reply to this post

Response to LASlibinSC (Reply #14)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:53 PM

15. Don't forget the insurance payments

Lotsa people getting paid off on these Priuses that were no doubt meant to SAVE money on gas mileage.

Reply to this post

Response to LASlibinSC (Reply #14)

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 03:57 PM

19. agreed. 300 vehicles, many of them trucks and vans, take up a lot of space.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:57 PM

16. I would take one

They look nice. I wonder what will happen to them? Sold at an auction?

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 03:23 AM

17. Par for the course in South Florida.

Seems that every local government in that area is corrupt, incompetent or both.

Reply to this post

Response to RandySF (Reply #17)

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 05:59 PM

20. Can you say Banana Republic?

Reply to this post

Response to Scurrilous (Reply #20)

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 06:01 PM

21. someone could slip on that

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 28, 2012, 03:40 PM

18. IDIOTS! someone needs to lose their job over this.

and soon.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread